Due to the coronavirus pandemic and State of Emergency, firearms applications are being processed at a slower rate due to lack of manpower with the New Jersey State Police. Applications will still be accepted but expect extensive delays.
Use of the New Jersey Firearms Application Registration System is the primary method to complete the firearms applications. Utilize the instructions below to submit your application. Contact Detective Sergeant Aaron Perkins at email@example.com or Detective Chris Spiegler firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-852-3302 for any needed assistance.
1. Visit www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
2. Click, "Online S.T.S 033 Form".
3. Enter NJ0210800 as ORI Number. This number is for the Town of Hackettstown residents ONLY. Please be aware that there are jurisdictions outside the Town of Hackettstown which use Hackettstown as a mailing address. If you reside outside the Town of Hackettstown, contact the law enforcement agency responsible for your town to find out the correct ORI number.
A. The New Jersey State Police will charge a $21.00 non-refundable fee online for a background check for existing firearm applicants. Please have your SBI Number available for the application.
B. New firearm applicants will be charged a different non-refundable fee.
4. Proceed to complete the online application.
5. When completing the application, you will need the email address of 2 reputable references.
6. *NEW (3/15/21)* Applicants are required to submit a separate payment for new firearms ID cards along with handgun permits after the application is made. This payment can be done by:
A. Making a check or money order payable to the Hackettstown Police Department and mailed to the Hackettstown Police Department 215 West Stiger St Hackettstown, NJ 07840 (Attention Firearms).
B. Cash, checks, or money orders can also be dropped of at the Hackettstown Police Department during normal business hours.
C. A new firearms ID card is $5.00 and each handgun permit is $2.00.
D. With any payment, please provide a copy of your firearms application number.
7. You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
8. Your firearms application will NOT be completed until all payments are received.
9. Once applications are completed you will receive an email from the New Jersey State Police indicating your documents are completed and ready. Firearms ID cards are now provided electronically, please retain a copy of your electronic Firearms ID card. The Hackettstown Police Department WILL NOT have the ability to provide you with a copy of your electronic Firearms ID card. If you do loose your electronic Firearms ID card, you will need to apply for a new card.
10. All handgun permits are now paperless and will be accessible at any licensed New Jersey firearms dealer.
The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and your references. Incorrect information entered will cause a delay in the processing of your application. Fingerprinting responses, reference responses, and other inquiries by the Hackettstown Police Department to the applicant must be completed within 60 days of the application submission.