Use of the New Jersey Firearms Application Registration System is the primary method to complete the firearms applications. Utilize the instructions below to submit your application. Contact Lieutenant Aaron Perkins at email@example.com or Detective Chris Spiegler at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-852-3302 for any needed assistance.
IMPORTANT: Applications on average can take up to 30 days to complete once the department receives the completed background checks from New Jersey State Police and reference checks. If you don't receive a notification from the New Jersey State Police within the 30 day period, contact the Detective Bureau.
1. Visit www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
2. Click, "Online S.T.S 033 Form".
3. Enter NJ0210800 as ORI Number. This number is for the Town of Hackettstown residents ONLY. Please be aware that there are jurisdictions outside the Town of Hackettstown which use Hackettstown as a mailing address. If you reside outside the Town of Hackettstown, contact the law enforcement agency responsible for your town to find out the correct ORI number.
A. The New Jersey State Police will charge a $21.00 non-refundable fee online for a background check for existing firearm applicants. Please have your SBI Number available for the application.
B. New firearm applicants will be charged a different non-refundable fee.
4. Proceed to complete the online application.
5. When completing the application, you will need the email address of 2 reputable references.
6. *NEW (1/23/23)* Applicants are required to submit a separate payment for new firearms ID cards along with handgun permits after the application is made. This payment can be done by:
A. Make a money order payable to the Hackettstown Police Department and mailed to the Hackettstown Police Department 215 West Stiger St Hackettstown, NJ 07840 (Attention Firearms).
B. Cash or money orders can also be dropped of at the Hackettstown Police Department during normal business hours.
C. A new firearms ID card is $50.00 and each handgun permit is $25.00.
D. With any payment, please provide a copy of your firearms application number.
7. You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
8. Your firearms application will NOT be completed until all payments are received.
9. Once applications are completed you will receive an email from the New Jersey State Police indicating your documents are completed and ready. Firearms ID cards are now provided electronically, please retain a copy of your electronic Firearms ID card. The Hackettstown Police Department WILL NOT have the ability to provide you with a copy of your electronic Firearms ID card. If you do loose your electronic Firearms ID card, you will need to apply for a new card.
10. All handgun permits are now paperless and will be accessible at any licensed New Jersey firearms dealer.
The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and your references. Incorrect information entered will cause a delay in the processing of your application. Fingerprinting responses, reference responses, and other inquiries by the Hackettstown Police Department to the applicant must be completed within 60 days of the application submission.
IMPORTANT: Applications on average can take up to 90 days to complete once the department receives the fingerprint results and the reference checks are completed. If you don't receive a notification after the 90 day period, contact the Detective Bureau.
1. YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON AT HACKETTSTOWN PD WITH THE APPROPRIATE PAPERWORK
*PLEASE CALL OUR POLICE DEPARTMENT PRIOR TO APPLYING –DO NOT JUST SHOW UP*
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and
Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
2. One (1) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642 (See Below). Must be double sided and notarized. References must not be related by blood or law.
3. Two (2) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066 (See Below). IMPORTANT: This form must be signed in the presence of the officer when you're turning in your application.
5. Submit proof of qualifications with a certified firearms instructor along with firearms instructor proof of certification.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”. Additionally, a money order in the amount of $150.00 payable to the Town of Hackettstown.
7. A copy of a recent pay stub confirming employment or current company ID card.
8. Prior to December 22, 2022, completion of the background check by the Hackettstown Police Department, applicants will receive an email advising that your application has been transferred to Warren County Superior Court. Any other questions regarding the application, call 908-750-8100 Ext. 13130. Any changes or modifications to ANY court orders must be done with the Warren County Superior Court.
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE
FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF THE APPLICATION AT OUR PD. THIS MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 60 DAYS OF THE APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE NJSP WEBSITE, WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
Forms SP642 and SP066, CLICK HERE.